Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Cooking up a storm


So we have made many things in our cooking class and all have tasted pretty good. Madame Jestem is the headcook for the school and she has been very helpful and has enjoyed watching the crazy white lady make things with the kids. This week we made Kool-aid (ok, technically not cooking but...), fried potato chips and salsa and today we made oatmeal cookies! Very funny because I have never baked ANYTHING from scratch! The students enjoyed the cooking experience very much. As each class comes to my classroom, I choose 2-3 students to be my helpers. In one class, I asked a helper to spray the baking sheet with cooking spray. She didn't quite understand and she sprayed my face! Then she sprayed my underarm and finally she sprayed the baking sheet! It was so funny! Someone explained to her what she was supposed to do with it and she got really embarrassed. The students seemed to enjoy the cookies so I guess I did ok.
Can you guess what this is?







There is an agronomist that happened to show up at Mommy Duncans this week. It was a good thing because I wasn't sure what to do next with our garden. He is going to talk with the kids about the seeds I brought and how to plant them.
Today was a little windy, enough to fly the kite we brought for the boys. Gualege got it in the air easily and maneuvered it well until he went near the big tree and got it caught. Some workers felt so bad for him they went and got a ladder to try to pull it down. They finally got it unstuck only to have it get stuck in a HIGHER branch. One of them climbed up the tree and got it down for him...all for a $5 kite. I guess the smile on my sons' faces was worth more:-)

I am feeling a little bit of a cold coming on and am feeling a little homesick. Also, my legs are pretty torn up from the mosquitos. Please pray for my health.








5 comments:

Kristi said...

Elizabeth you are doing great things in Haiti - keep it up - great photos again...except for that last one...I'm at a loss for words - what is it? or what are they???

Melissa said...

Elizabeth, thank you for sharing your photos! I love hearing about your adventures. I too would like to know what that mystery mixture is.

Amy and girls said...

Is it unbaked marble cake? Chocolate pudding with bananas? Let us know! We're praying for you. Hugs and kisses.

Tom Mag said...

It sounds like you are having quite an adventure down there. I am enjoying your posts.

The Compian Family said...

I guess my last message wasn't very encouraging, huh?
We are praying for you and hope that you feel better soon :-)
Hi Auntie!
How are Jordan and Grant? Do you get to see them a lot?
Love,
Noah